Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Crocodile Rocks!


Since you couldn't really have an "European" meal or an "Asian" meal, I'm not quite sure what they mean by "African," but Hanzie and I had one at a place called Mama Afrika on Long Street in Cape Town while I was there. Long Street is the equivalent of their Melrose and is lined with restaurants, backpacker hotels, and boutique shops -- my favorite being a little artistic enclave called "Loud on Long" where I purchased  a contemporary photo print and some handmade items by a local artist.

I don't know how to explain the ridiculous wince on my face, but the crocodile was indeed a delight. I've had Hostess Chocodile before, but this was my first time tasting the real thing. We actually ordered an assemblage of African game meats that were all quite good. Maybe Hans will chime in with a better explanation for I had never heard of most of them. Perhaps that is what truly makes it an African plate, and how they can get away with using a "k" instead of a "c" in their title.

I know it's tough for the vegetarians when you travel, but for all of you meat devotees, my motto is to always just try it. 

No comments: