Monday, June 23, 2008

The ship of opportunity ....

I don't think we stand a chance in going down as "the ship of dreams" since that title has clearly been taken. However, the MV Explorer has joined the ranks of the opportunity ships who work directly with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in conjunction with the U.S. Dept. of Commerce. In 2005, we deployed six surface drifters that measure currents. When I came back to the ship earlier this year, I was pissed to find this gigantic machine taking up our limited desk space in the AV booth. But now that I have learned more about the work we are doing and what the thermosalinograph readings mean, I am cool with giving up some space. Check it out.

Now if we could just work on using less energy. As much as I love the bubble columns in the garden lounge, I'm thinking that maybe they don't really need to be on 24/7.

No comments: